Monday, October 16, 2006

Back from New York

I had a great time at my friend's reading at CBGBs on Friday. After watching him struggle to finish the book, it was nice to see him getting some recognition, and having his picture taken with Tommy Ramone and Handsome Dick Manitoba. Apparently, the guy sitting next to me at the bar before the reading knew some of these 70s punk figures, because John Holmstrom (of Punk magazine) and Tommy Ramone were both inches away from me at one point. I particularly enjoyed seeing Dick Manitoba come in and ask, "Where's this Beeber guy? I need to see him." And after the reading, Gary Lucas performed with his band Gods and Monsters, which included members of the original Modern Lovers and Television. I didn't get to spend too much time with Steven, because on Saturday he had to fly to Minneapolis for his interview at the Twin Cities Book Festival. But it was great to see things happening for him. And he signed my book.
The rest of my weekend in New York was a nice break from routine. I especially enjoyed going to a bar in the Village called the Slaughtered Lamb, with horror movie decor and hot goth girl bartenders. One made the second-best Cosmopolitan I've ever had (after the one Todd helped "make" for me on my birthday).
But I'm back now, and ready to trudge through another work week. I will definitely try to get back out to Bound for Halloween, but I'm not promising anything. DJ Panic offered to take me out to SW, since getting there has proven difficult. But location is only one reason I haven't been able to get myself to Bound recently, although I appreciate Johnny's offer. I really do know some great people, so why should I worry about the one who doesn't deserve any space in my mind?

1 comment:

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Hey, sounds like a fun trip! I would have loved to have been there with you, just to hear Steven read and to soak in the atmosphere one last time.