Monday, October 02, 2006

School shooting in Amish country

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/15105305/?GT1=8618

Not long after a gunman terrorized students in Colorado, a truck driver took an Amish schoolhouse hostage, where he, like the Colorado gunman, focused on the female students. There isn't much information about the gunman, except that he threatened to shoot his way out if the cops called to the scene didn't leave. As the article points out, this is the latest in a long line of recent school shootings. I actually don't have much to say about this story, I just wanted to share it, because the headline grabbed my attention.
But the deadliest school massacre on record is over a century old. It took place in Bath, Ohio, and, while I don't have enough information on it for a detailed analysis, not one of the recent shootings in our "godless" and "permissive" era (as conservative critics are fond of placing the blame for contemporary violence on) has matched the Bath massacre's body count.
On the personal front, since I know all of you love to hear about my pathetic little life, things are actually starting to look up. I've met a couple of guys, made some new friends, and had a great time at Entre Nous last Saturday. And I've gotten some writing done. It will still be a while before I get to Bound again, but I hope the crowd doesn't forget about me.

No comments: